FIRST THERAPY SESSION
In your first session at Canwillbebetter™, your Psychologist usually ask what you are hoping to get out of therapy. What are your expectations and your preferences for how to proceed. What matters the most for you and what you want to achieve. How would your life be different if therapy was to help you? The Psychologist will ask you about your current and past physical and emotional health to gain a deeper understanding of your situation.
Then, as the psychotherapy work progresses, the Psychologist periodically check in with you to see how you feel the work is going and to what extent you feel your goals are being met.
If you go in prepared and not looking to take a backseat … you will have the most success with your therapy.
AREAS TO COVER IN YOUR FIRST THERAPY SESSION INCLUDE
- The Psychologist skills, experience and qualifications
- The approach they take. How might this way of working relate to your presenting issues?
- Your goals and expectations of counselling
- If individual counselling is the best way forward, or if couple or family therapy would be more appropriate.
- Fees, frequency and estimated duration of your work together.