How Long Does Therapy Last?
The length of therapy vary depending on your specific needs and circumstances. Some come to therapy with a specific issue or concern. Intensive short-term dynamic psychotherapy (ISTDP) may be the right fit. Normaly that can last from six to eight sessions. Some come to therapy to explore issues that seem to run a little deeper. They might engage in therapy for several months or even years.
How Many Sessions Do You Need?
You and your Psychologist can discuss how many sessions may be right for you.
Factors to consider include:
- Type of disorder or situation
- Severity of your symptoms
- How long you’ve had your symptoms or have been dealing with your situation
- How quickly you make progress
- How much stress you’re experiencing
- How much support you receive from family members and other people
- Regardless of why you are seeking therapy or the type of therapy you are doing, it is important to remember that, ultimately, it is your decision as to when you stop therapy.
Length Of Treatment
If you are unsure about what you need/want by way of length of treatment, you might raise the question with your Psychologist to get his/her thoughts. It can also be helpful to discuss your goals of therapy with your therapist. Clarifying what you want from therapy can help you figure out if you have met your goals and when you are ready to stop therapy.